Re: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-cl-edge-behaviour-00.txt

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Wed, 22 July 2009 17:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:24:21 +0100
To: Tom Taylor <tom.taylor@rogers.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: pcn@ietf.org, i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-cl-edge-behaviour-00.txt

Tom and co-authors,

Thanks for this draft.

Here's my immediate thoughts up to start of S.3.3 on p9 (further
comments will follow when I don't have to dash):

1/ The draft needs to say explicitly at the start that some things
will need to be standardised to aid interworking, while some things
can be left for vendors and operators to turn into their competitive
advantage. Then throughout, each item should decalre which it is:
- something essential for interworking,
- or an example that could be improved on.
As it stands, it's not clear what the purpose of describing all the pieces is.

Examples:
- excess-rate or threshold marking might initially trigger re-routing
rather than respectively blocking or terminating flows. We can say
this is possible, but we've not chosen to describe it here because it
doesn't impact interworking.
- Smoothing algorithms could be an area for innovation
- Ditto for responding to flash crowds, etc

2/ As well as S.2 "Assumed Core Network Behaviour for CL", I felt the
draft lacked a similar section "Assumed External Behaviour". All the
actions seem to happen suspended in a vacuum, without saying what
initiates them, or what carries messages between them. For instance,
in 3.2.1 there are sentences saying "the egress reports that...",
without saying what the report message is sent to.

We probably don't need to say signalling system X, but we could say
signalling system with properties like X or Y, where X=RSVP and Y=NSIS (say).

3/ Perhaps we need to think about what the CL-edge-behaviour is not.
Certainly it's different from single marking. But why? Certainly it's
different from a RACF-compatible solution. But why? I think the
essence of these answers is that:
- it's a solution that can potentially be completely distributed;
- it allows 2 threshold rates to be independently set on each
interior node, so that an operator can tailor the config of different
parts of the network (or have them all the same if that works)
- it is a way of putting together existing IETF standards without
having to change them (or at least not significantly at all).

I think it could also do with a (very brief) summary in such a
section of what the goal is that this PDB is contributing to - ie one
domain of an e2e controlled load service.

4/ S.3.2.1.
It says that that CLE is _measured_ regularly. But then it gives a
value with a justification as if the value is _reported_ regularly.
They may need to be _measured_ regularly, but surely they only need
to be reported when there's a flow signalling that it wants to start?
I thought this was one aspect of the CL scenario that was different
from, say, the RACF scenario? Or have I missed something.

There is a significant difference between regularly beaconed signals
that have to have their own reliable delivery, and signals
piggy-backed on flow signalling that already has reliable delivery
(because if it doesn't arrive, the flow doesn't start).

"4.7. Environmental Concerns

    In some markets, traffic preemption is considered to be
    impermissible.  In such environments, flow termination would not be
    enabled.
"

[even tho I said I hadn't reviewed it this far, my eye was caught by
this heading].
This could refer to a misunderstanding of the US regulations. In the
US, the admission of one flow (even an emergency services flow) is
not allowed to preempt another. But the operator is allowed to
terminate flows when network capacity unexpectedly reduces - in order
to preserve service. However, I'm not sure what the US position is
regarding choosing what to terminate.

This is why we changed the terminology ages ago, from preemption to
termination, which is what we meant. It otherwise unnecessarily rang
alarm bells with people wary of the US regulations.

Nits

1. Introduction

s/the overall rate of PCN traffic is metered on every link/
  /the fill of a virtual queue for all PCN traffic on a link is metered/

[my point here is one I always harp on about: the threshold metering
algo measures variance as much as average rate, because they are both
important.]

1.1 Definition of CLE shouldn't go into such details of how it is
measured (which are items of debate).

s/2. Assumed Core Network Behaviour for CL/
  /2. Assumed Interior Node Behaviour for CL/

3.1.
s/the PDP gives preference to this list when determining which flows
to terminate/the PDP chooses flows to terminate from this list/
[preference is confusing as it implies a nice outcome for the chosen ones]

3.2.1 Altho it's generally agreed that the choice of CLE threshold
value isn't sensitive, I think 0.5 is unnecessarily high - this would
make the system a bit sluggish I would have thought. Would 1/8 be a
better choice (to choose another arbitrary but round number in binary)?

Bob