Re: [PCN] Comment on draft-taylor-pcn-cl-behaviour-00

Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Mon, 23 March 2009 10:06 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:07:11 +0100
From: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: philip.eardley@bt.com
Cc: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Comment on draft-taylor-pcn-cl-behaviour-00

Hi Phil and all,

philip.eardley@bt.com schrieb:
> is the CLE calculated at the ingress?
Yes. See intro in Section 3.2 of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-taylor-pcn-cl-edge-behaviour-00#section-3.2.3
and Section 3.2.2 of
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/draft-charny-pcn-single-marking-edge-behaviour-00.txt

> the old CL draft has the calculation at the egress. ok, this agrees with yoru last sentence.

[you refer to the third proposed change in my other email "Comments
about CL and SM edge behavior"]

> however, your last sentence also has the state [admit/block] transmitted to the ingress. this is ok if [1] the state changes less often than a new flow arrives at eh ingress (for this ingress-egress-aggregate) (if the state chnages more often, then there's less signalling if you piggyback on the signalling msg). [2] if the state [admit/block] is transmitted reliably. note that [1] doesnt apply if teh CLE is piggbybacked on eg an rsvp msg, when the cost of sending teh msg is very low.

I needed some time to find out what you mean. The idea of piggy-backing
the CLE information in RSVP RESV messages was proposed by the third
bullit in Section 4.3 of
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt
As already stated in the draft, this does not work for empty IEAs.
Moreover, RESV messages are sent every 30 seconds while new measurement
information is available every ~300 seconds. Therefore, the idea of
piggybacking seems nice, but it is effective only in case of
sufficiently many flows or we just don't signal available information.

> personally the case of adding the CLE as an object on eg rsvp msg makes the most sense to me as the basic case.
As I explained above: it's only applicable when the rate of RSVP RESV
messages is high enough. You need 100 flows to have such a message every
300 ms to keep up with the measurment frequency.

> your admit/block case could makes sense in some scenarios.

Also admit/block information per IEA can be piggybacked on RSVP RESV
message. Then you would signal block/admit whenever a RSVP RESV messages
comes by and not only state changes as the transmission of RSVP messages
is not reliable.

Hense, we have two orthogonal questions:

1) Should we signal CLE values or admit/block states? The second can be
used for other AC methods than CLE, too. For instance for probe-based AC
for IEAs, this is not per-flow probing, see Section VI.B.3 of
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/papers/Menth08-PCN-Overview.pdf

I believe that signalling only block/admit information is better than
signalling the CLE or other information which is specific to the applied
AC algorithm. There are many of them, see Section VI.B of
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/papers/Menth08-PCN-Overview.pdf
And at least PBAC-IEA is helpful for IEAs that are likely to run out of
traffic. It would be nice if the signalling of AC decisions for IEAs
could be independent of the deployment scenario.

2) Should PCN use its own signalling or reuse RSVP RESV messages for
signalling of CLE or admit/block states?

I believe it should have its own signalling method because whether RSVP
RESV messages can be reused for piggybacking depends on the number of
flows per IEA and on their signalling protocol which may not necessarily
be RSVP.

Regards,

    Michael