Re: [pcp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tsou-pcp-natcoord-10.txt

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 27 February 2013 06:45 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, 'Simon Perreault' <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:45:17 +0100
Cc: "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pcp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tsou-pcp-natcoord-10.txt

Med: Ok to move the parity bit to the option data field.

>2. Eventually will need a discussion of the interaction of
>that "P" bit
>with draft-boucadair-pcp-rtp-rtcp, or can one draft subsume the other
>draft?  What happens if a request contains both options, and how does
>the "P" bit interact with the draft-boucadair-pcp-rtp-rtcp option?

Med: draft-boucadair-pcp-rtp-rtcp is abandoned in favor of this unified approach proposed in the new version.

>3. natcoord-10 says "If the Port Set Size is zero or one, a
>MALFORMED_OPTION error is returned."  Disallowing a port set size of
>one seems overly restrictive, especially when later in the same
>section there is allowance that if the server cannot fulfill the
>requested port set size, the server maps one port.  I agree a port
>set size of 0 is nonsensical.

Med: It does not make sense to include a PORT_SET to ask for one single port. The text you are referring to is when the port set size > 1.

>4. The paragraph starting with "If the PREFER_FAILURE option is absent"
>and the paragraph below it, could benefit from editing to enhance their
>clarity and exactly how the server reacts in those edge conditions.

Med: Noted.

>5. "If a mapping already exists and the PORT_SET option can be honored"
>could also benefit from some editing to aid clarity.  For
>example, let's
>say a single port is mapped (internal port = 5000), and then PORT_
>SET is used with internal port=6000.  It needs to be clearer
>what happens
>there -- is the new request 'honored' by destroying the previous
>mapping and creating this new one, or is only a single port mapped or
>something else?  Related, need a discussion in the document of what
>happens if PORT_SET is used and a subsequent PCP request adjusts
>the lifetime of a single port within that port set.

Med: I guess you want to say PORT_SET with internal port=5000, no? An example may be added to the text to aid clarity.

>6. In Section 4.3, Port Set Renewal and Deletion, it is unclear how
>PORT_SET changes the behavior for the Assigned External IP Address
>versus what is already in
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pcp-base-29#page-32.  If the
>change is intentional, it should be highlighted clearer in natcoord;
>if it is re-stating what is already in pcp-base, that should be
>clarified, too (or simply removed).

Med: Can you explicit what changes are you referring to? Thanks.

>7. I think the PORT_SET option should be in the non-mandatory
>to process range.  Because the fall back (for when the server
>doesn't understand PORT_SET) is exactly in line with what existing
>code would have to handle anyway if the PORT_SET cannot be
>fulfilled.

Med: Works for me.