[pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp: multiple pcp servers

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 13 August 2013 06:26 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:26:20 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Subject: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp: multiple pcp servers

Dear all,

The design of the DHCP PCP option (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp-08) assumes:
(1) multiple pcp servers may be received from the same DHCP server.
(2) one pcp server may be reachable with multiple IP addresses.
(3) when multiple pcp servers are returned, the pcp client will need to contact all these servers.
(4) It is up to an administrative entity to return one or multiple pcp servers. No restriction is made by design.

FWIW, this design was in the draft since -02.

Dave is echo'ing a comment which objects this design and advocates for restricting the design to return only one pcp server and it is up to the administrative entity to sync the state in all enabled PCP servers. IMO, this objection is not technically sound, at least for the following reasons:

(1) The protocol cannot discover in one single request all external IP addresses and port numbers. Imagine the case where a NPTv6 and NAT64 boxes are deployed. The PCP client has no means to learn with one single request to a single PCP server both the external IPv4 address (assigned by the NAT64 device) and the external IPv6 address assigned by the NPTv6 box. The same issue is encountered when multiple NAT configured with distinct pool are in place.

(2) A host connected to a multi-homed domain, in which FW are located at the border router in front of each adjacent domain, will need to open pinholes in these FW if it want to receive incoming traffic from a remote peer.

(3) The protocol does not specify how state synchronization is to be achieved between several PCP servers. The task is even complex when these pcp servers are controlling functions of distinct types (e.g., NAT44, FW, NAT64, Port Range Router, etc.). Other issues are raised (see to the pcp-server-selection thread)

(4) Mandating one and only one pcp server is to be returned is really deployment-specific. This assumption will induce a lot of complexity at the network side

For those who are objecting the design as currently documented in -07, it is time to raise your concern (preferably with the technical arguments that motivate your point). If no technical argument is made, the current design will be maintained as it is.

Cheers,
Med