Re: [pcp] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04: (with COMMENT)

Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu> Wed, 18 November 2015 22:48 UTC

From: Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 22:47:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.7.0.205]
Cc: "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option@ietf.org>, "pcp-chairs@ietf.org" <pcp-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pcp] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04: (with COMMENT)

Dear Ben,

Thank you for the additional comments that you have made.
Please find replies inline.

Yes, this would get solved by reducing the scope to tunnel IDs.

> - Figure 2: is there an assumption that the L2 tunnel to the CGN NAT is
> the same as or correlated with that to the UPnP IGD?

No. they are uncorrelated.

> - 3.2: Is there an assumption the web application authenticates users? I
> assume so, since the web app needs to get the ID from somewhere.

Yes, there is this assumption. It is required for security reasons.

> - 4:
> Putting THIRD_PARTY_ID in the "mandatory-to-process" range seems to
> prevent use cases where the client sends the parameter "just in case". It
> might be worth having some text to say it should not be included unless
> the client knows for a fact the NAT cannot create a mapping without it.

This is a very good suggestion. We will come up with according text
in the next revision of the draft.

> - 5.1:
> I don't think it makes sense to allow THIRD_PARTY_ID to be used
> independently of THIRD_PARTY, unless you define what it means to do so.

This is in line with Alissa's DISCUSS to restrict the scope. It assume this issue
will be solved together with her DISCUSS.

> Editorial:
> ========
> - Please expand "BRAS" on first mention.

Will do.

Thanks and best regards,
    Juergen