Re: [pcp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pcp-authentication-04.txt

"Zhangdacheng (Dacheng)" <zhangdacheng@huawei.com> Fri, 08 August 2014 09:28 UTC

From: "Zhangdacheng (Dacheng)" <zhangdacheng@huawei.com>
To: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 09:27:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.139]
Subject: Re: [pcp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pcp-authentication-04.txt

Hi, Tiru:

Thanks again for the review. I've included most of the comments in the document. Please see my answers inline.

Cheers

Dacheng

[Dacheng Zhang:]
Done!
> [2] Each PA message is attached with an
>    Authentication OpCode and may optionally contain a set of Options for
>    various purposes (e.g., transporting authentication messages and
>    session managements).
>
> Nit> replace session managements with session management
[Dacheng Zhang:]
Done!

> [3]   o  On security infrastructure equipment, such as corporate firewalls,
>       that does not create implicit mappings.
>
> Comment> The above line is very clear, are you referring to firewalls
> Comment> not creating implicit mapping for specific traffic like UDP

[Dacheng Zhang:] Update the document according to your comment, done!

> [4] This mechanism can be used to
>    secure PCP in the following situations::
>
> Nit> Remove extra ":"
[Dacheng Zhang:] Done!

> [5]
> The draft says fragmentation and re-assembly is handled by EAP methods but
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3748 explains that it's only handled by EAP-TLS.
>
> Does that make EAP-TLS mandatory to support ?
[Dacheng Zhang:] Please give me some time to think about it.

> [6] In this case, before sending
>    out the PA-Server, the PCP server must update the SA and use the new
>    key to generate digests to protect the integrity and authenticity of
>    the PA-Server and any subsequent PCP message.
>
> Nit> replace digests with digest

[Dacheng Zhang:] Done!
> [7]  Because there is no authenticaiton OpCode in common PCP messages,
> the
>    authentication tag for common PCP messages needs to provide the
>    inforamtion of session ID and sequence numbers.
>
> Nit> Fix spelling mistakes for authenticaiton, inforamtion.
[Dacheng Zhang:] Done!

> [8] The generation of the digest can be various according to the algorithms
> specified in different PCP SAs.
> Comment> Replace the above line with
> "The generation of the digest varies according to the algorithm finalized in
> different PCP SAs"
[Dacheng Zhang:] Done!

> [9] Do the Authentication tag option for PCP authentication message and
> authentication tag option for common PCP have different option codes ?
[Dacheng Zhang:] Yes, I think so. They contain different information.

> [10] Update IANA Considerations with the new PCP option, opcode and result
> codes introduced in the draft.
[Dacheng Zhang:]
Will do it before the next version.

> [11]   This section applies only to the in-band key management mechanism.
>  It will need to be updated if the WG choose to pursue the out-of-band  key
> management mechanism discussed above.
>
> Comment> I think the above paragraph can be removed.
[Dacheng Zhang:]
Done!

> [12] I think a section is required to explain how PCP authentication works in the
> presence of PCP proxies ?
>         In specific explain what happens when PCP proxy and PCP server are
> involved in re-authentication while PCP clients are sending PCP requests.

[Dacheng Zhang:]
How about the following text?

" During a re-authentication procedure between a PCP server and a PCP proxy, the proxy SHOULD discard the mapping creation requests from its PCP clients if the PCP proxy does not already have a valid active mapping for this mapping-creation request. Because PCP clients are responsible for reliable delivery of PCP request messages, it will resend the requests. Then, after the re-authentication finishes, the requests will be processed. "