Re: [pcp] PCP DHCP/DHCPv6 options

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Tue, 11 January 2011 12:26 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: Maglione Roberta <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:29:03 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "'pcp@ietf.org'" <pcp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pcp] PCP DHCP/DHCPv6 options

Dear Roberta,

Thank you for your feedback.

In the introduction, the I-D is referring to Section 3.1 of RFC1035; in particular:

"  This document defines DHCP [RFC2131] and DHCPv6 [RFC3315] options
   which can be used to provision a PCP Server [I-D.ietf-pcp-base]
   reachability information; more precisely it defines DHCP options to
   convey a FQDN (as per Section 3.1 of [RFC1035]) of a PCP Server.  In
   order to make use of these options, this document assumes that a DNS
   server is configured on the host client by DHCP or other means."

But when defining DHCPv6 option, I avoided to refer to RFC1035 but to Section 8 of RFC3315 because compression

as per Section 4.1.4 of RFC1035 is not allowed.

For the DHCP option, your comment is valid. I will replace the RFC2131 reference with RFC1035.

Please let me know if this is ok with you.

Cheers,

Med