Re: [pcp] PCP-base 02: Section 7.7

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Tue, 11 January 2011 17:32 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com, 'Francis Dupont' <Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr>, 'Simon Perreault' <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:35:02 -0800
Cc: pcp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pcp] PCP-base 02: Section 7.7

Thanks for the pointers.

The first URL says:

    > I don't know how we can forbid applications to use option 2
    > which is the obvious one to avoid overloading service
    > elements with keepalive messages!
    >
    > As a concrete example: In the current VoIP deployments SBC
    > or P-CSCF forces the SIP User Agent to send frequent
    > REGISTER messages (setting a small value of expire timer);
    > these messages are not forwarded to the core service
    > elements. The main purpose is to maintain the NAT binding
    > in case a NAT is traversed alive. Both the NAT and SBC are
    > overloaded with these keepalive messages. For the NAT side
    > this may not be an issue when the NAT is embedded in the
    > CPE but this may be become sensitive for the CGN case.
    >
    > If PCP is used to instruct a mapping before issuing the
    > REGISTER message: (1) the CGN is not overloaded, (2)
    > service contact point is not overloaded, (3) the client can
    > use the external IP address/port to build its application
    > messages (e.g., SIP) and thus no need to implement extra
    > function in the service side (e.g., SBC) or in the CGN
    > (e.g., SIP ALG), (4) the service elements can detect the
    > present of non-transparent NAT by comparing the content of
    > the message with the source IP/port information, (5) the
    > client is aware of the lifetime of the mapping in the CGN
    > which important to avoid sending aggressive keeplines
    > (e.g., 20s for Ipsec clients), etc.

and the second URL reinforces that connect-then-lifetime does not
have property (3).

Here is how I see property (3) implemented when doing connect-then-lifetime,
following the REGISTER
procedure described at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipping-nat-scenarios-13#page-16

  SIP UA                          PCP server    SIP proxy
    |                                 |             |
    |--SIP REGISTER, rport------------------------->|
    |<-Ok, port=12345-------------------------------|
    |                                 |             |
    |-PIN44, REMOTE_PEER=<sip proxy>->|             |
    |<--lifetime=3600, ext-port=12345-|             |
    |                                 |             |

What is the disadvantage of reducing SIP keepalives that way?

For RTP, message flow would be like this, again doing connect-then-lifetime.
The difference is we don't get anything like an "rport=NNN" from the remote
peer.  But, we don't need it anyway except to detect a rogue NAT on the path
between the PCP-controlled NAT and the RTP peer.  If the SIP UA wanted to
detect such a rogue NAT, it would need to send ICE (STUN) messages to the
RTP peer.

  SIP UA                          PCP server     RTP peer
    |                                 |             |
    |--RTP message--------------------------------->|
    |-PIN44, REMOTE_PEER=<rtp peer>=->|             |
    |<--lifetime=3600, ext-port=12345-|             |

As with SIP, the SIP UA does not need to be in a hurry to communicate with
the PCP server.

-d