Re: [pcp] New Submission: draft-mou-pcp-application-network-feedback-00.txt

"Moustafa, Hassnaa" <hassnaa.moustafa@intel.com> Thu, 07 November 2013 00:53 UTC

From: "Moustafa, Hassnaa" <hassnaa.moustafa@intel.com>
To: "Bill Ver Steeg (versteb)" <versteb@cisco.com>, "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <eckelcu@cisco.com>, "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 00:53:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.22.254.140]
Cc: "Moses, Danny" <danny.moses@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [pcp] New Submission: draft-mou-pcp-application-network-feedback-00.txt

Hi Bill,

I think that we agree on most of the points.

Only, regarding this point:
" Bvs ---- I would argue that if there is real-time transcoding in the network, that transcoding element would need to be considered more like a host than a network element. The appropriate signaling between the host/decoder and the server/encoder would be to use the (potentially encrypted) feedback mechanism such as RTCP. Once the endpoints decided on a new set of flow characteristics, they could optionally signal the network with the new flow metadata using PCP-like methods. "

--> Hassnaa: I am not sure if we can consider the network element as a host/decoder. The network element sits as a middle between the client (host/decoder) and the (application server).

Yes I am aware of the BoF on metadata and will be happy to discuss more.

Regards,
Hassnaa