Re: [Pearg] Updated Charter and meeting at IETF 103

Griffin Boyce <gboyce@cyber.harvard.edu> Tue, 09 October 2018 20:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 16:37:51 -0400
From: Griffin Boyce <gboyce@cyber.harvard.edu>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: Sara Dickinson <sara@sinodun.com>, pearg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Pearg] Updated Charter and meeting at IETF 103

On 2018-09-26 16:27, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> "The chairs may at times appoint at their pleasure “closed” design
> teams
> with lesser reporting requirements (though results will be open). This
> will allow for some limited discussions in which participants require
> extra privacy/confidentiality."
>
> I think that's undesirable. I've also no idea what kind of design
> team might make sense in an RG. I don't think any other current or
> recent RG has been anything but fully open. I'd prefer that this
> not be an exception. If there is a justification for such an
> exception then I think that ought be explicit, but I don't recall
> hearing one. (It's possible this was discussed in Montreal at the
> bit of the f2f meeting I missed.)

   I agree that this is broadly undesirable.  Unless there's an obvious
use-case for confidentiality, *and* people foresee that happening
imminently, I think that this would be a point of contention
longer-term.  (But full disclosure, I have missed the F2F meetings and
this may have been covered there).

all the best,
Griffin Boyce