Re: (Non-PEM) self-signed certificate

"Robert W. Shirey" <shirey@mitre.org> Fri, 11 June 1993 12:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 08:44:04 -0500
To: Hoyt Kesterson <hoyt_kesterson@ppd-smtp.az05.bull.com>, pem-dev@tis.com
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert W. Shirey" <shirey@mitre.org>
Subject: Re: (Non-PEM) self-signed certificate
Cc: pem-dev@tis.com

At 12:12 AM 6/11/93 +0000, Hoyt Kesterson wrote:

>My opinions come from my work with the OSI Directory group, the creators of the
>much referenced X.509. I am only just now coming up to speed on what is
>happening in the PEM community. I blissfully assuming that the X.509 intentions
>still hold up here.
>
>   hoyt

Well, as one of the members of the IRTF's Privacy and Security Research
Group, the creators of PEM, I hope the X.509 gang has time to do some
reading, especially of RFC 1422, "Privacy Enhancement for Internet
Electronic Mail: Part II: Certificate-Based Key Management."  Unless we are
completely wrong, things are about to start moving fairly fast in the
secure mail area.

Although we specified use of X.509 certificates, many Internauts have asked
for changes.  Also, there are definite flaws ("No, sorry old chap, must be
a new work item in the next four year cycle.") in CRLs.  Also, widespread
use of the system will certainly expose other needs, which the IETF will be
compelled to act quickly to meet without worrying about asking CCITT.  By
the by, these are  third generation documents, based on more than six years
of testing with several independent implementations.  Rather a different
approach to standards, no?  And the following is a refreshingly different
way of obtaining copies of standards documents, don't you think?

Regards, -Rob-

Robert W. Shirey, The MITRE Corporation, Mail Stop Z202
7525 Colshire Dr., McLean, Virginia  22102-3481  USA
shirey@mitre.org * tel 703-883-7210 * fax 703-883-1397

-----------

1424  Kaliski, B.  Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part IV:
      Key Certification and Related Services.  1993 February; 9 p. (Format:
      TXT=17538 bytes)

1423  Balenson, D.  Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part
      III: Algorithms, Modes, and Identifiers.  1993 February; 14 p. (Format:
      TXT=33278 bytes)  (Obsoletes RFC 1115)

1422  Kent, S.  Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part II:
      Certificate-Based Key Management.  1993 February; 32 p. (Format:
      TXT=86086 bytes)  (Obsoletes RFC 1114)

1421  Linn, J.  Privacy Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail: Part I:
      Message Encryption and Authentication Procedures  1993 February; 42 p.
      (Format: TXT=103895 bytes)  (Obsoletes RFC 1113)