Register Some Respect

TCJones@dockmaster.ncsc.mil Thu, 19 August 1993 00:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1993 20:52:00 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: TCJones@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Subject: Register Some Respect
To: pem-dev@tis.com

Register (From Webster's 9th Collegiate) (first defs in both cases)

(n) A written record containing regular entries of items or details.

(v) to make or secure official entry of in a register; to enroll
formally

MTR> The Directory is a listing (publication) mechanism, not a
registration mechanism.  (Consult SD-5 from the NADF for the
differences; see RFC 1417 for information on the NADF's SD document
series.)

3.2.  Registration (from RFC1255 - I think this is SD-5, no?)

Second, a name may be bound (as a value) to some object attribute.

Given the right to use a name, a Naming Authority, such as a family
which has an inherited surname and, more or less, has the right to use
any names it pleases for its children's given names, must bind selected
names to selected object attributes (e.g., firstname=Einar).  Note that
this same name might also be used as the first name or middle name of
other children, as long as each sequence of given names of each family
member is distinguished (i.e., none are duplicates) within the family.
Wise families do not bind the same sequence of given names to more than
one child.  Some avoid any multiple use of a single name.  Some use
generational qualifiers to prevent parent-child conflicts.

MTR> Regardless, your definition of "register" is incorrect.  The key is
"demands proof that I own my own name".  The proof you provide is the
registration.  Putting the name in the Directory is listing, not
registration.

Whose definition of register is incorrect!

If there was ever an incoherent statement, it is the one from RFC1255.
A look in any graveyard will show that there were many parents who were
so unwise as to try reusing the same name over and over.  Why this
particular section is titled "Registration" is not particularly clear,
but the ideas presented are at variance with reality and certainly not a
part of the scope of the NADF.  I certainly don't register my children
by the act of naming them.  I register them with the county birth
registry, I register them for school, I register them with the social
security agency, I register them for driving licenses or (in some
locales) to buy a gun.  When I wish to get a DNS name, I register with
the NIC.

If there is to be ANY registration of DN's it will be in X.500
directories (or possibly CA's).  There simply is NO OTHER PLACE to
register them.  This constant effort to re-define perfect good English
words to suit the speaker's concepts is really disconcerting and, I
would posit, counterproductive.  It is exactly the same problem we are
having with the word distinguished in DN.  If I can DISTINGUISH between
two ways that my interchange partners will communicate with me, then I
will seek to REGISTER DN's for both of them with a CA or directory.

Peace ..Tom Jones