Re: [Pesci-discuss] Hoping Pesci is still flopping around...

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Wed, 11 January 2006 15:02 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
Subject: Re: [Pesci-discuss] Hoping Pesci is still flopping around...
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:00:39 -0600
Sender: pesci-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

From: "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald@alvestrand.no>

> --On onsdag, januar 11, 2006 08:13:57 -0600 Spencer Dawkins
> <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is in-scope for PESCI or not...
>
> ... but there are sensible people on this list, so let's just chat....
>
> I'd LOVE to have a specification for a publication mechanism that allows:
>
> - the leadership to publish a revised version "whenever they have to"
> - me to get at the current version extremely easily
> - me to be notified when it changes (announcement, RSS, changelog...)
> - me to be able to get at any older version with a little dilligence

As Harald says in the following text, I think the technical problems are
solveable (now that we aren't in the CNRI vortex on tool development,
especially - not that this would be trivial, but that it would be doable).

I suspect that there are some publications that should be revises
frequently, and others that should not, and I'm not sure that I know the
complete list of either. I suspect that this overlaps the principles versus
procedures/mechanisms discussion that we need to have about the PESCI draft.
But I'm pretty sure that if we can figure out what the right thing to do is,
we can make it happen.

> A set of web pages with CVS version control, links to previous versions
> and an open subscription "notification" mailing list would satisfy approx
> 95% of my needs....
> (I run a CVS with a notifier script; I'm pretty sure the web interface
> part exists too).
>
> SHOULD be easy to set up....

And would be better than the random collection of web pages that we point
people to in the tutorials, to take one example (I have not a lot of
confidence that I'm pointing to all of the useful ones, and only somewhat
more confidence that I am pointing to the most current text in each case,
since when we decide to start squirreling stuff away on websites, we don't
pick a default "right location"...)

For an exercise for the reader - find a smart person at your company who
doesn't participate in the IETF and ask them if there is an IETF policy on
timing of interim meetings, and where it might be. And how sure they are
that the one they find in Google represents current IESG practice in
approving interim meetings :-)