[Pesci-discuss] Hoping Pesci is still flopping around...

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Wed, 04 January 2006 14:38 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:37:40 -0600
Subject: [Pesci-discuss] Hoping Pesci is still flopping around...
Sender: pesci-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

Dear PESCI team,

The Gen-ART team tripped over a draft from some new authors this week with
all kinds of problems, at least some of which result from the pile of
process documents we are now using. (Don't worry, they had plenty of other
problems - but our pile of process documents didn't help!)

"Problems" included things like missing normative references to other
drafts, because they thought we weren't kidding when we said

>       ********************************************************
>       *                                                      *
>       *   Under no circumstances should an Internet-Draft    *
>       *   be referenced by any paper, report, or Request-    *
>       *   for-Proposal, nor should a vendor claim compliance *
>       *   with an Internet-Draft.                            *
>       *                                                      *
>       ********************************************************

... which would have been a whole lot easier to overlook, except it's IN A
BOX FOR EMPHASIS... Of course, the following paragraph tells you a
circimstance where you CAN reference an Internet-Draft, but perhaps the
readers can be excused for thinking that "no circumstances" actually meant
that there were less than one circumstance :-)

I also note that the IETF home page still points to RFC 2026, with no
indication that "large parts of RFC 2026 are obsolete", if you click on "The
Internet Standards Process", so it's not like we're helping anyone.

I also noticed this week that the RFC Editor home page ALSO points directly
to RFC 2026 with no qualification as "The Internet Standards Process"...

Has PESCI resurfaced, post-Vancouver? I still think topics like
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-procdoc-roadmap-03.txt
matter, but process doesn't evolve itself...

Thanks,

Spencer