Re: [pilc] OT - CCSDS Proximity-1 Help Req'd

"Adrian J. Hooke" <adrian.j.hooke@jpl.nasa.gov> Fri, 19 December 2003 15:39 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:36:00 -0800
To: pilc@ietf.org
From: "Adrian J. Hooke" <adrian.j.hooke@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: [pilc] OT - CCSDS Proximity-1 Help Req'd
Cc: "Long, Darren" <darren.long@uk.thalesgroup.com>, darren.long@bluescreenofdeath.net, greg.kazz@jpl.nasa.gov, Dai Stanton <dstanton@keltik.co.uk>, Matt Cosby <mcosby@space.qinetiq.com>
Sender: pilc-admin@ietf.org

Darren: Greg Kazz, chairman of the CCSDS Space Link Protocols Working
Group, will be happy to answer your questions. I've CC'd him and he will
answer you directly.

I have also copied Matt Cosby of QinetiQ and Dai Stanton of Keltik (both in
the UK), who implemented Prox-1 onboard the British 'Beagle' lander that is
scheduled to touch down on the surface of Mars on Christmas day. They
should be able to give you local advice.

Prox-1 will be the primary communications link for Beagle to transfer data
to and from Earth via the European 'Mars Express' orbiting communications
relay, and the US 'Mars Odyssey' orbiting relay. The two US Mars rovers
'Spirit' and 'Opportunity' (respectively scheduled to land on Mars January
3 and January 24, PST) will also each use Prox-1 for communicating via
these two orbiting Mars relays. The US 'Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter'
(http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/mission/tl_relay.html) will join the
international fleet of Prox-1 based Mars communications relays when it
arrives at the planet in March 2006.

All of these proximity communications occur in the UHF band.

Best regards

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Interplanetary Network Directorate
Pasadena, California 91109-8099, USA
+1.818.354.3063