RE: "Long Thin Networks Internet-Draft" submitted for PILC B

"Spencer Dawkins" <Spencer.Dawkins.sdawkins@nt.com> Mon, 23 November 1998 23:18 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <Spencer.Dawkins.sdawkins@nt.com>
To: pilc@lerc.nasa.gov
Subject: RE: "Long Thin Networks Internet-Draft" submitted for PILC B
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:18:04 -0500
Sender: owner-pilc@lerc.nasa.gov

Aaron,

this isn't a definitive delta, but it's close...

The biggest delta isn't actually that much of a change - we moved our
recommendations section into the previous section of the paper, proposal by
proposal. This matches more closely the approach taken by TCPSAT, which I
like.

This was the list of work items that Gab and I were using for coordination
(and if it doesn't say DONE, it's probably a next-time activity). In
addition, we also added a section on sharing TCP control blocks (4.13). And
we probably did a few other minor items.

	- in recommendations section (5) need to beef up:
		o Improved Scheduling Algorithms on End Systems
		  (was CBQ section)
		o spell out issues with delayed dupacks
		o why is ipsec a problem for ecn but not for
		  snoop? - DONE (although I think the section
                      for snoop was already explicit enough)

	- need references for cdpd and gsm/gprs - DONE

	- check for changes in "stability of the proposal"
	  in the table, as some stuff may already be rfc
	  (e.g., header compression/ payload compression..) DONE - but I
thought
               IPPCP was approved as PS, and it's still showing up as IDs on
the WG home page...

	- add more verbage on why van jacobson compression is bad
	for us, and why degermark et al have a better alternative,
	and recommend using it - DONE

	- add verbage mentioned by hari about ack-every-segment being
	bad for asymmetric networks, cuz it effectively limits the
	forward bandwidth - DONE

	- add pointer and ref to scps (mentioned by travis)
		http://www.scps.org/scps

	- fetch refs in badri's protocol adaptation paper
	- add section on M-TCP (not MTCP)
	- add section on Amigos
	- add verbage on disconnections and burst errors/handoffs
	- draft-ietf-tcpsat-*.txt - standard mechanisms DONE, research DONE
	- draft-kksjf-ecn-*.txt - DONE
	- draft-rfced-info-partridge-*.txt - DONE
	- rfc 2414 (was draft-floyd-incr-init-win-*.txt) - DONE
	- rfc 2415 (was draft-ietf-tcpimpl-poduri-*.txt) - DONE,
	- rfc 2416 (was draft-shepard-tcp-4-packets-3-buff-*.txt) - DONE
	- draft-ietf-tcpimpl-prob-*.txt - DONE but not included
	- draft-ietf-tcpimpl-cong-control-*.txt
		replaces rfc2000, stevens - DONE
	- modify considerations (e.g. on snoop) based on nitin's
		simulations