[pim] pim-sm router transitions from DR to non-DR

Binu TN <tnbinu@yahoo.co.in> Sat, 21 April 2007 16:07 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:07:46 -0700
From: Binu TN <tnbinu@yahoo.co.in>
To: pim@ietf.org
Subject: [pim] pim-sm router transitions from DR to non-DR

Hi,

  I have a basic doubt in the pim-sm router transition from DR to non-DR. Let's assume a scenario where a sm router (e.g., RT1) is DR in a LAN and it has multicast route entry and it is trigerring Join messages to RP (it is in some other network) as it has some interesting hosts. If another sm router (e.g.RT2) with higher IP address comes into the LAN of RT1, as per my understanding RT2 will become DR and RT1 will become non-DR to that LAN. My doubts are,

1) whether the multicast route entries that are present in RT1 before entry of  RT2 will be removed?

2) Will RT1 stops trigerring Join messages to RP? Or RT1 will be trigerring Join messages for existing entries and RT2 will be trigerring for any new entries?

Please clear my doubts.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Binu.