Re: [pim] Draft submission on MLD with multiple upstreams

Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com> Tue, 23 July 2013 14:13 UTC

From: Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com>
To: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO <lmcm@tid.es>, "pim@ietf.org" <pim@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:13:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.37.13]
Cc: "Zuniga, Juan Carlos (JuanCarlos.Zuniga@InterDigital.com)" <JuanCarlos.Zuniga@InterDigital.com>
Subject: Re: [pim] Draft submission on MLD with multiple upstreams

Hi Luis,

        As mentioned before, I am not against standardizing this, I am just trying to understand the need.

        My thinking is that we can standardize the external visibility of a feature and how it should behave. I am not sure whether we can really standardize the configuration for a feature or how a particular feature is implemented internally by a router. But yes, there can surely be a guidance given to help implementer and administrator.

        Please see in line with <Bharat>.

Regards,
Bharat

Hi Bharat,

About your comments.

The usefulness of an standardized feature is that the expected behavior is the same even if implemented by different vendors. The network operator does not need to adapt to particular solutions, but to well defined and generic ones. No particular hidden problems nor issues. Also thanks to the standard behavior, the hardware from a vendor can be substituted by other in the future (for instance, due to obsolescence) without need of re-customizing the network. This clearly reduces operational costs.

Even if only one router is involved in the implementation of this feature, there are some issues to address (as per comparison with RFC4605 contents):
.- membership database structure: now more information would be needed because more than one upstream interface is in place.

<Bharat>: As its already implemented by vendors, its been taken care. But I agree that there is some more state/information to be maintained.

.- operation with IGMP and MLD: separate upstream for each of them? Separated versions of protocols for each upstream interface?

<Bharat>: Yes. Again, this could be decided based on the configuration. They both can use same or different upstream interfaces.

.- loop prevention: think that you can find chained IGMP/MLD proxies in some deployments.

<Bharat>: Currently, this is mostly taken care by network design and configuration. This is something which I would like to know more about.

.- multicast sender support: what is the process for selecting the appropriate upstream interface? How to do it dynamically (for instance, as a function of the received subscriptions)?

<Bharat>: Did not get you? What do you mean by selecting appropriate upstream interface for sender? Can you please elaborate?

.- SSM: what upstream interface is selected? RPF-like mechanism?

<Bharat>: Again did not get you? Is this similar to the previous point? Can you please elaborate?

Plus some additional interesting issues like:
.- dynamic selection of the upstream in use: e.g., for maintenance reasons or due to a change in the multicast routing in the core network
.- redundancy: how to implement redundancy method taking advantage of a different upstream interface
.- load balancing: how to share the demand between distinct interfaces
.- service demarcation: how to smoothly integrate different multicast streams from different providers on the same distribution tree.
.- handover support in mobile services: simultaneous subscription of the same multicast streams for mitigating service disruption.

<Bharat>: I agree to the above points.

In my opinion these are arguments in favor of standardizing this feature.

Best regards,

Luis