Re:[pim] PIM RP register mechanism

Saurabh Goel <getsaurabhgoel@yahoo.com> Tue, 04 July 2006 07:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:37:27 -0700
From: Saurabh Goel <getsaurabhgoel@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re:[pim] PIM RP register mechanism
To: pim@ietf.org

Here is my guess on it...just some ideas.

SwitchToSptDesired(S,G) as the draft says is an
implementation defined policy function to decide when
to initiate an (S,G) tree.

On the RP, it could be based on the rate at which it
receives PIM Register Packets. Taking this assumption,
the RP could decide that the current Register packet
rate for the (S,G) is large enough to initiate
building the (S,G) source tree (to get the packets
natively) but finds that there are no receivers
(inherited_olist(S,G) == NULL) yet and hence decided
to send a Register Stop. This would prevent the
unnecessary 'substantial' (after all
SwitchToSptDesired(S,G) is True)Register traffic for
which there are no receivers.

If the Register traffic rate is 'low'
(SwitchToSptDesired(S,G) == False), it might not send
Register Stop even if (inherited_olist(S,G) == NULL).
This may be because the traffic rate is 'low' enough
to pay for faster covergence achieved when the
receiver does appear.

Hope it helps.

saurabh