[pim] Reg: Prune(*, G) does not affect Prune(S, G, rpt) downstream state machine

"Ganga Prabha" <gangaprabha84@gmail.com> Wed, 29 August 2007 10:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:16:18 +0530
From: Ganga Prabha <gangaprabha84@gmail.com>
To: pim@ietf.org
Subject: [pim] Reg: Prune(*, G) does not affect Prune(S, G, rpt) downstream state machine

Dear All,
      I need a clarification on the below topology.

       -----------                               -------------------
     |  RT1     |           I1              |                    |
     |             | ---------------------------|      RT2        |
       ----------                               |                   |
       -----------                               -------------------
     |    S1     |                                       |
     |             |                                       |
       -----:-----                                         |
            :                                              |
       -----:-----                                         |
     |    RT3   |             I2                        |
     |             | --------------------------------------|
       ----------

RT2 : BSR
RT3 : RP for Group G1.

Steps:
     1) All the routers aware of the their respective neighbors ,RP and BSR.
     2) RT1 sends Join(*,G1) Message with upstream neighbor as RT2 and Hold
time as 210 secs to RT2 on the interface I1.
     3) Now RT2 interface I1 moves to Join(*,G1) state.
     4) RT1 sends Prune(S1,G1,RT3) Message with upstream neighbor as RT2 and
Hold time as 10 secs to RT2 on the interface I1.
     5) Now RT2 interface I1 moves to Prune (S1,G1,RT3) state immediately as
there is only one neighbor.
     6) RT1 sends Prune(*,G1) Message with upstream neighbor as RT2 and Hold
time as 210 secs to RT2 on the interface I1(This message is sent before the
expiry of Prune (S1,G1,RT3) timer).

After expiry of Prune(S1,G1,RT3) timer (10 secs), If the RT2 receives
multicast data packets from S1 via RT3 , will RT2 forward the Multicast data
packet to its down stream interface(To RT1).

I am expecting this behaviour as mentioned in the RFC 4601 Section
4.5.4Page 61 Last Paragraph.

" Notes:
 Receiving a Prune(*,G) does not affect the (S,G,rpt) downstream state
machine."

It will be of Great help if someone could tell me whether my expectation is
correct. If it is not correct please clarify me .

Thanks and  Regards,
K.Ganga Prabha