Re: Privilege policy (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt)

Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com> Tue, 12 March 2002 16:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:09:36 -0500
From: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>
To: Peter Williams <peterw@valicert.com>
CC: "'Yee, Peter'" <pyee@rsasecurity.com>, "'ietf-pkix@imc.org'" <ietf-pkix@imc.org>, "'Francois.Rousseau@CSE-CST.GC.CA'" <Francois.Rousseau@CSE-CST.GC.CA>
Subject: Re: Privilege policy (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt)
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

There seems to be some ongoing confusion about privilege
policy, as defined in X.509. Privilege policy determines
whether the privileges of a privilege holder are sufficient.
An access control list is one example of a privilege policy.

Although ACPROF does not mention privilege policy, I believe
that there's an unstated assumption that after an AC has
been validated it may be used in access control decisions
or for other purposes. It is at this point that privilege
policy enters the picture.

The only place in X.509 AC validation where privilege policy
is involved in is where the acceptable privilege policies
extension is present. In that case, the verifier must
check that the OID for the privilege policy it's planning
to use is included in the list of OIDs in the extension.
However, ACPROF does not support this extension. Therefore,
there is no need for it to worry about privilege policy.

-Steve