RE: ASN.1 types for Distinguished names (was: Re: Distinguished n ames and

Andrew Probert <AndrewP@esd.nec.com.au> Thu, 03 April 1997 02:12 UTC

From: Andrew Probert <AndrewP@esd.nec.com.au>
To: 'Brian Korver' <briank@terisa.com>, Holger.Reif@PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE
Cc: ietf-pkix@tandem.com, ssl-users@mincom.oz.au
Subject: RE: ASN.1 types for Distinguished names (was: Re: Distinguished n ames and
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 12:13:46 +1000

Further to my previous email, here is a comment from Microsoft:

<snip>
We have UNICODE X.509 Name ASN.1 encode/decode routines. When converting
UNICODE to a T61String we convert to UTF8. The UTF8 represents the
characters 0 .. 0x7f as a single byte, 0x80 .. 0x7ff as two bytes, and
0x800 ..0xffff as three bytes. UTF8 is also being used by Java.

<snip>