Re: ASN.1 types for Distinguished names (was: Re: Distinguished names and

Brian Korver <briank@terisa.com> Wed, 02 April 1997 17:31 UTC

From: Brian Korver <briank@terisa.com>
Subject: Re: ASN.1 types for Distinguished names (was: Re: Distinguished names and
To: Holger.Reif@PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:32:05 -0800
Cc: ietf-pkix@tandem.com, ssl-users@mincom.oz.au

Holger Reif writes:

> Hi,
>
> this seems to be a nice thread to jump in ;-)
>
> I noticed that many of the X.520 Selected attributes are of type DirectoryString
> which in turn is a choice of teletexString, printableString and universalString.
> Does anybody know when which Form is to be used and wether a transformation
> between these types (if possible) is allowed and gives equal meaning.

BMPString has basically replaced UniversalString because, I have
been told, nobody used UniversalString.  I can be believe this.

Both TeletexString (T61String) and PrintableString have constraints as
to what can be placed in them.  So for instance if you need to use a
character such as '@', you cannot use PrintableString.

I'm unaware of any equality rules to use when comparing strings of
unequal type.  I assume that most implementations assume that strings
of unequal type are by definition not equal.  IMHO this is the best
approach because of the lack of well-defined equality matching rules.

I'm also unaware of any rules for "which string do I use" when there
are multiple string types to choose from.

> Of course, if it's within a SIGNED context then the answer is clear:
> one can't change the types. But in other cases?

brian
briank@terisa.com