RE: LDAPv3 Profile Issue

"Steven Legg" <steven.legg@adacel.com.au> Fri, 01 August 2003 06:25 UTC

From: Steven Legg <steven.legg@adacel.com.au>
To: 'David Chadwick' <d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk>, 'PKIX' <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: RE: LDAPv3 Profile Issue
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:08:34 +1000
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

David,

David Chadwick wrote:
> Colleagues
>
> at the Vienna meeting I stated that the only outstanding
> issue with the
> LDAPv3 profile was the use of multi-valued RDNs. However,
> there is also
> the use of the ;binary extension that still has to be addressed and
> resolved (unfortunately), since the profile needs to state what PKI
> clients should do with ;binary.

I thought this was already resolved. Tim Polk previously proposed the
following to the list:

  (1) Upon review of the PKIX-LDAP “survey” we see a critical mass of PKI
clients
  and LDAP servers that achieve interoperability using LDAPv3 with the
;binary
  option.  As these clients appear to be in the majority, we believe the
best
  approach is to maintain this option for the transfer of X.509 certificates
and
  CRLs.  Since this is the behavior documented in RFCs 2251, 2252, and 2256
(as
  well as the overarching 3377) this will require the least changes to the
LDAPv3
  specifications as well.

  (4) The lack of a defined LDAP-specific encoding for Certificate,
Certificate
  List and Certificate Pair syntaxes is a problem, as a small percentage of
  implementations transfer these attributes without the ;binary option.
Rather
  than be silent, we suggest that the PKIX syntax and schema document state
the
  LDAP-specific encoding used in transfer without the ;binary option but
  deprecate its use.  This LDAP-specific encoding has the same transfer
  representation as when the attribute is transferred with the ;binary
option.

As I recall there was no serious dissent. Consensus seems to have been
achieved.
I wrote draft-legg-ldap-binary-00.txt assuming this was the case.

Regards,
Steven