Re: [pkix] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161-update-06.txt

"Pope, Nick" <Nick.Pope@thales-esecurity.com> Thu, 01 October 2009 09:44 UTC

From: "Pope, Nick" <Nick.Pope@thales-esecurity.com>
To: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>, "Pope, Nick" <Nick.Pope@thales-esecurity.com>, "'denis.pinkas@bull.net'" <denis.pinkas@bull.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:45:11 +0100
Cc: pkix <pkix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pkix] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161-update-06.txt

Stefan,

OK - I was not aware of the practice of scoping threats separate from
scoping the RFC.  Clearly, MECHANISMS addressing the threat of malicious CA
are outside the scope of this RFC (they are more to do with CA trust
management).

Do you want to propose the text for security considerations.   May I suggest
this includes text the lines

 "Mechanisms addressing the threat of malicious CAs and ensuring CAs are
trustworthy are outside the scope of this RFC."

Nick