Re: ASN.1 types for Distinguished names (was: Re: Distinguished n

Holger.Reif@PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Holger Reif) Thu, 03 April 1997 06:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 08:30:52 +0200
From: Holger.Reif@PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE
To: AndrewP@esd.nec.com.au, briank@terisa.com
Subject: Re: ASN.1 types for Distinguished names (was: Re: Distinguished n
Cc: ietf-pkix@tandem.com, ssl-users@mincom.oz.au, reif@rz.tu-ilmenau.de

Brian Korver wrote:
> Andrew Probert writes:
> >
> > Further to my previous email, here is a comment from Microsoft:
> >
> > <snip>
> > We have UNICODE X.509 Name ASN.1 encode/decode routines. When converting
> > UNICODE to a T61String we convert to UTF8. The UTF8 represents the
> > characters 0 .. 0x7f as a single byte, 0x80 .. 0x7ff as two bytes, and
> > 0x800 ..0xffff as three bytes. UTF8 is also being used by Java.
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> The addition of BMPString is recent,

Where is BMPString defined? What are it's encoding rules? Does it mean a
directoryString as defines in X.520 (selected Atrributes) Version 2 is
now a choice of printableString, teletexString, universalString and
BMPString?

> so it's not too surprising that they
> didn't use it, although it is a little strange to me that they didn't
> use UniversalString.

They use UniversalString! at least their ActiveX control certenr3.dll for
the MS Internet Explorer certificate enrollment and acceptance generates
an UniversalString if one leaves the allowed range for printableString