Re: RE: Security AD Review of draft-ietf-pkix-ipki3cmp-05.txt

Mike Smith <mfsmith@zionsbank.com> Tue, 11 November 1997 01:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:29:47 -0700
From: Mike Smith <mfsmith@zionsbank.com>
To: kent@bbn.com, carlisle.adams@entrust.com, jis@mit.edu, stephen.farrell@sse.ie, wford@verisign.com
Cc: ietf-pkix@tandem.com
Subject: Re: RE: Security AD Review of draft-ietf-pkix-ipki3cmp-05.txt
A seaparate, standardized PKIX glossary would be wonderfully helpful - it gets my vote.

michael

>>> Carlisle Adams <carlisle.adams@entrust.com> 11/10/97 01:17PM >>>
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the comments.  I will issue a revised Internet Draft within
the next couple of days.

I have one slight counter-proposal, though.  I wonder if you can give us
your feedback on this:

>----------

I think that a glossary could usefully be included in this document.
However, there is much overlap in terminology over the full set of PKIX
documents, so that I'm not sure that including it in this particular
document is the best course of action.  My preference would be for the
WG to produce a separate document (targeted as an Informational RFC)
which serves as the "official" glossary for all other documents produced
by the WG.  This glossary can be updated as time goes on (if necessary),
and all other PKIX RFCs and IDs can point to this as the agreed
definition-of-terms for the Internet X.509 PKI.

One negative consequence of the above suggestion is that the current
Certificate Management Protocol spec. would have no glossary to point to
(since it doesn't exist yet).  On the positive side, there is no danger
that  PKIX-CMP would be held up for an indefinite amount of time if (for
whatever reason) "discussion" develops over the precise definitions of
some terms.

Thoughts?

Carlisle Adams
Entrust Technologies