Re: PKI Resource Discovery - Proposal for a new Working Item

"Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren@telia.com> Tue, 24 April 2007 18:37 UTC

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
To: Massimiliano Pala <pala@cs.dartmouth.edu>, Wen-Cheng Wang <wcwang@cht.com.tw>
Cc: pkix <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: Re: PKI Resource Discovery - Proposal for a new Working Item
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:44:04 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Hi Max,
Some time ago you proposed new PKI protocols but then you did
not state any specific use-case.  I'm happy to see such now :-)

Regarding painful rollover, I believe a 5-year plan or so is realistic
if it involves certificate changes.   If the idea is really some kind of
"mapping scheme" between existing certificates and services it may
be faster but OTOH I don't really see how such a mapping utility
would work given the huge variations out there.  But maybe you
are thinking of some kind of centralized discovery service?

Personally I'm only interested in decentralized Internet-scale PKI
solutions (the opposite to S/MIME...) and would due to this base
a new scheme on the only Internet-scale "registry" there is: DNS.

I would suggest a scheme based on DNS names which both can
be obtained locally (from a config file) as well as being supplied
in a new certificate extension.  This would allow step-wise migration
which has proved to be the fastest route to adoption.  The following
is one way of architecting this:

In the repository/certificate extension: "example.com"

Searched for by an enhanced PKI client:
_thesuperduper-pki-lookup.example.com TXT "something"
_other-pki-lookup-service.example.com TXT "something"

Regarding applications, I would like to add automatic certificate
renewal services support.

regards
Anders