Re: WG Last Call: AIA CRL extension

"Julien Stern" <julien.stern@cryptolog.com> Tue, 24 May 2005 17:25 UTC

From: Julien Stern <julien.stern@cryptolog.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:38:58 +0200
To: Tom Gindin <tgindin@us.ibm.com>
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Subject: Re: WG Last Call: AIA CRL extension
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:36:16AM -0400, Tom Gindin wrote:

>         There is one scenario permitted by the "same trust anchor" rule
> for CRL signers which seems to me to be a serious security hole.  Let us
> assume a valid CA which is a direct subordinate of one of the RP's trust
> anchors.  This CA issues separate CRL's and ARL's, in a quite usual way,
> and issues cross certificates.  After months or years of operation, it
> revokes one of its cross certificates because the subject's operator has
> gone rogue.  That rogue subject then issues a fraudulent CRL Signing
> certificate with the DN that the superior certificate has been using to
> sign ARL's, a public key which it has newly generated, and various
> extensions including an SKID.  It then issues an updated copy of an old
> ARL under the fraudulent CRL signer's certificate and with an AKID
> matching the fraudulent signer's SKID.  If the rogue can break into the
> repository where the CRL is expected, this fraudulently issued CRL will
> probably be validated whether it contains an AIA or not.  It will
> certainly pass the "same trust anchor" condition.
>         This scenario, in which a rogue CA issues an ARL certifiying that
> its primary certificate has not been revoked and gets the ARL accepted, is
> possible under "same trust anchor" but not under "signed by path member".

I agree with the validity of this scenario. I believe this is very
close to the issue I attempted to bring on the list a short time ago.
Of course, it assumes the existence of a rogue CA at some point in time.

Note that the CRL could be directly inserted into a "long term"
signature (according to RFC3126 for example). This does not require
a repository break-in and makes the "attack" even more realistic.

Regards.

--
Julien Stern