Re: Motions before the WG

"todd glassey" <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net> Mon, 26 November 2001 22:03 UTC

From: todd glassey <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net>
To: ietf-pkix@imc.org, Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>, jis@mit.edu, Marcus Leech <mleech@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Subject: Re: Motions before the WG
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:32:54 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Jeff and Marcus - What I have proposed is that the Charter of PKIX be
amended since there are major differences in how it is operated and what it
produces relative to your other groups. Also the opening paragraph of the
Charter is more of a road-map of historical accomplishments and really says
nothing about what the group is to be doing or how it operates.

As to this effort -  I have gotten some specific negative feedback from a
few of the "louder voices" on the list that this is not good. The problem is
that they all have Drafts and RFC's that would be effected by this
requirement which brings up and issue of propriety.

Further I wanted to submit a motion to curtail the breadth of the WG's
Chair's powers and require that PKIX, because it deals with protocols
specific to commerce, authentication and security applications that it like
other IETF WGs accept any number of protocols for standardization, and not
make any specific or unspoken requirement that there be only one protocol of
each type.

The motions are below in the text. They have nothing to do with BERT.

Oddly enough I have received numerous messages from people that have much to
lose if the WG turned against them, but they have applauded my commentary
and direction which tells me what I am doing here is right.

---

Tim - I heard you loud and clear as the WG Chair formally closing down this
line of conversation on this list - and will make this the closing remark
and transfer this to the IESG's mailing list. I have no intention of letting
this drop and intend to see these reforms brought into  PKIX or the public's
and other Standards Org's perception of the IETF adjusted accordingly.