RE: Privilege policy (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01 .txt)

Peter Williams <peterw@valicert.com> Wed, 13 March 2002 20:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:29:51 -0800
From: Peter Williams <peterw@valicert.com>
Subject: RE: Privilege policy (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01 .txt)
To: 'Steve Hanna' <steve.hanna@sun.com>
Cc: "'Yee, Peter'" <pyee@rsasecurity.com>, "'ietf-pkix@imc.org'" <ietf-pkix@imc.org>, "'Francois.Rousseau@CSE-CST.GC.CA'" <Francois.Rousseau@CSE-CST.GC.CA>
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

I suspect that the only confusion that is relevant is summarized
in the following question and commentary:

(Q) Does one perform the tests laid down by the privilege
policies(s) *during* AC path processing, or not?

if an AC is "valid" this implies that the relevant
privilege assertions DID INDEED MEET the rules of the relevant privilege
policy(s). The last implication is another way of asking the
question (Q), in functional  form. The function is always true
for a true antededent if path processing for a valid chain itself
evaluates (validly asserted) privileges against their
privilege policies and environment values.

(Obviously Roberto's simple example of signing limit enforcement via
PMI is just a case of a privilege assertion  and corresponding
sufficiency determination  where the transacations signing-amount (the
environment var value) would be judged against the privilege policy
of the bank/payment-card (which presumably says, the AC-privilege
assertion is invalid if signing amount > signing limit. Obviously thge
policy could be more complex, and track cumulative limits, with
greater use of env vars.

To PKIX and ACPROF:

This issue of where privilege policy is enforced affects the design of
a certified AC path processing module, or a DPV server addressing AC
path evaluation. For this issue, it makes no difference under
X.509 conformance whether the path has one or more
elements. Let us assume one element:

(1) If privilege asssertion sufficiency tests are performed *during*
path validation, then
the privilege policy(s) and enviornment vars must
be passed TO the module/server FROM the client, where
the client normally collected the privilege policies from
the bank's directory; and where environment var values are
obivously established (obviously)

(2) If the path processing module only performs trivial authentication
of AC chains re PKI, but does not enforce the privilege policies,
then one assumes that the client of the AC path processing
module/server enforces the privilege policys. In this case, a path
processing RESULT from the module/server of valid DOES NOT satisfy
X.509 16.1; the Path is only "partially evaluated" at
that point.

X.509 16: "The role processing procedure and delegation processing procedure

are done prior to the determination of whether or not the asserted
privileges
are sufficient for the context of use within the basic procedure." suggests
(to me very clearly, but inevitably not clearly to Denis) along with the
context that  "AC path processing itself" must determine whether or not
the asserted privileges are sufificent for the context of us. That is, if a
DPV server is faced with path processing an AC, it must perform perform the
determination of sufficiency.

Both ACPROF and DPV requirements I-Ds are critically insufficient on
this issue, is  my comment to IETF. The fix is to align both
with X.509 PMI 16.1, basic processing of ACs, as REQUIRED
for X.509 conformance.