Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-07.txt

"Tom Gindin" <tgindin@us.ibm.com> Fri, 29 June 2001 21:06 UTC

Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-07.txt
To: "David P. Kemp" <dpkemp@missi.ncsc.mil>
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org
From: Tom Gindin <tgindin@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:10:22 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

     I'm not sure what protocol would typically be used to retrieve CRL's
for retrospective validation, if the reference time is more than a day or
two old.  If the reference time is far back, the old CRL's would probably
not be available from the HTTP or FTP locations in the distribution point
extensions - those would have been overwritten.  A local database in the CA
would be likelier to have this stuff - but that would return multiple
values for a query just as LDAP would.  In the TechNR draft, I suggested
that the responsible party (either the RP or the escrow holder) would
archive them himself and present them to the retrospective validator.
     In general, assuming single-valued attributes for delta CRL's would be
dangerous in retrospective validation, as can be seen in the following
example (ignoring time units other than days for simplicity):
a)   Suppose the base CRL has thisUpdate D and nextUpdate D+7.
b)   Suppose delta CRL's were produced on D+3, and D+5.
c)   Attempt to validate a transaction occurring on D+6.  The second delta
is needed.
d)   Attempt to validate a different transaction occurring on D+4.  The
first delta is needed.

     On your question about LDAP retrieval of CRL's by time range, there
was some discussion on this group last summer by Steven Legg (the thread is
"Matching Rules for Constructed Syntaxes"), with David Chadwick and I also
contributing, about how to search LDAP for ASN.1 subfields, which is
reflected in an Internet-Draft
draft-legg-ldapext-component-matching-02.txt.  Until this is actually part
of LDAP, you probably can't do it.  If it is adopted as part of LDAP,
someone needs to give samples for the filters people actually would want to
run - notably times in certificates and CRL's, and values of KeyUsage.

          Tom Gindin

"David P. Kemp" <dpkemp@missi.ncsc.mil>@mail.imc.org on 06/29/2001 02:44:53
PM

Sent by:  owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org