RE: CRL Issue (Was RE: WG Last Call: AIA CRL extension)

"Stefan Santesson" <stefans@microsoft.com> Wed, 25 May 2005 19:00 UTC

Subject: RE: CRL Issue (Was RE: WG Last Call: AIA CRL extension)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 19:17:51 +0100
From: Stefan Santesson <stefans@microsoft.com>
To: Tom Gindin <tgindin@us.ibm.com>, Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@orionsec.com>
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org, Julien Stern <julien.stern@cryptolog.com>
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Tom,

If the substitution would be successful the validation would go into an
infinite loop and fail.
Validation of S's fake CRL requires validation of C's cross certificate
to S which triggers another validation of S's fake CRL and so on.

I think we added some text against infinite loops but I don't have it
fresh in my memory.

Stefan Santesson
Program Manager, Standards Liaison
Windows Security