Re: Algorithm revocation

"Tom Gindin" <tgindin@us.ibm.com> Tue, 20 February 2001 15:55 UTC

Subject: Re: Algorithm revocation
To: Soenke Maseberg <maseberg@darmstadt.gmd.de>
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org
From: Tom Gindin <tgindin@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:53:04 -0500

     There are two reasons IMO why "revokedAlgorithms" does not belong in
the base CRL structure.  First, a CA is not authoritative for the
revocation status of an algorithm or key length in the way in which it is
authoritative for the revocation of certificates it issued; two CA's can
easily disagree about whether RSA-768 is usable for digital signatures and
it is up to the RP software to decide which to trust.  I myself would make
a "revokedAlgorithms" extension non-critical, since its main effect would
be to issue warnings to distributed RP's that "your trusted server thinks
that you should stop trusting keys like these, in case you hadn't heard".
Second, as a practical matter, adding an extension will not break existing
software in the way that adding a new field to the base structure will.
     It is true that timestamps using a compromised algorithm are
themselves compromised.  However, the basic rule behind a pyramided set of
timestamps is that if there is no time T at which ALL of the keys used for
signatures in the set with timestamps before T had been compromised, then
the set has not been compromised.  Since the compromise of an algorithm is
a public event, it is much easier to support a statement that "no
compromise occurred before time T1" for an algorithm compromise than for an
individual key compromise.
     I don't really want to get into multiply-signed CRL's.  It makes
better sense IMHO for the CA to generate the same TBSCertList, sign it with
each of the multiple keys, and publish them under the same attribute.  This
would be more efficient over the network if the client used the internal
value filtering that you may have seen discussed last month on this list
(especially in the messages entitled "Certificate Matching"), and in
draft-legg-ldapext-component-matching-00.txt.

          Tom Gindin

Soenke Maseberg <maseberg@darmstadt.gmd.de>@mailserver1.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de
on 02/20/2001 08:36:26 AM

Sent by:  maseberg@mailserver1.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de