PKIX Part 4 I-D

Warwick Ford <wford@verisign.com> Fri, 28 March 1997 20:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:00:37 -0800
To: ietf-pkix@tandem.com
From: Warwick Ford <wford@verisign.com>
Subject: PKIX Part 4 I-D

We have issued a revised version of the Certificate Policy/Practices
Framework that was previously distributed and discussed at the San Jose
meeting.  This new revision has attempted to take into account feedback
from the San Jose meeting and from several individuals.

The main changes are:

- Reduce the volume of material in a major way.  This has largely involved
removing redundant material, and organizing the document better.
- Improve the explanatory material and definitions.
- Some technical changes in the light of feedback from an effort by the
Canadian Govt. to use the framework in writing real certificate policies.
- Align the material better with the ABA's work.

We have titled this document as a draft of PKIX Part 4, and suggested that
the final disposition of this work be an Informational RFC.  Such matters
are, of course, fully open for debate by the PKIX group.  We can discuss at
the Memphis meeting.

Warwick

> directories. This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure
> (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.
>
>       Title     : Internet Public Key Infrastructure  Part IV: Certificate
>                   Policy and Certification Practices Framework
>       Author(s) : S. Chokhani, W. Ford
>       Filename  : draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part4-00.txt
>       Pages     : 42
>       Date      : 03/26/1997
>
>This document presents a framework to assist the writers of certificate
>policies or certification practice statements for certification authorities
>and public key infrastructures.   In particular, the framework provides a
>comprehensive list of topics that potentially (at the writer's discretion)
>need to be covered in a certificate policy definition or a certification
>practice statement. It is intended that this document, when fully
>developed, be published as an Informational RFC.
>
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>     "get draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part4-00.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part4-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts directories are located at:
>
>     o  Africa:  ftp.is.co.za
>
>     o  Europe:  ftp.nordu.net
>                 ftp.nis.garr.it
>
>     o  Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
>
>     o  US East Coast: ds.internic.net
>
>     o  US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.
>
>Send a message to:  mailserv@ds.internic.net. In the body type:
>     "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part4-00.txt".
>
>NOTE: The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
>      MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>      feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>      command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>      a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>      exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>      "multipart" MIME messages (i.e., documents which have been split
>      up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>      how to manipulate these messages.
>

>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
>of the Internet-Draft.
>
><ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part4-00.txt>

Warwick Ford, VeriSign, Inc., One Alewife Center, Cambridge, MA 02140
   wford@verisign.com; Tel: (617)492 2816 x225; Fax: (617)661 0716