Re: [pkix] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pkix-ocspagility-02.txt

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 25 August 2009 04:15 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: "'Manger, James H'" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>, pkix@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:15:08 -0700
Subject: Re: [pkix] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pkix-ocspagility-02.txt

One only needs to have the parameters in the event that there is information that needs to be conveyed which is not "instance" data rather than global data.  Thus when you look at a block algorithm, one would not want to say - you must use a specific IV - making the set of parameters for an algorithm like AES not required when you want to specify support.

There is a difference if you were looking at algorithms such as RSA-PSS or RSA-OAEP where one would have the ability to say that different hash or mask functions are supported.  The question for ECC would be what should one be able to advertise as being supported, and what items everybody needs to be able to support (or are implicit in the OID value).  I have not really looked into this.

There is a strong reason to support using the same OID value for both the S/MIME capability and any other uses, it means that one does not need to keep a table of equivalencies and makes the code much easier.  We did very much stress the need to understand that the structures where different, however this was not a new problem we introduced at this point.  Consider the RSA algorithm where the same OID is used in different locations with different parameters.