Re: TSP version 03

John_Wray@iris.com Thu, 23 September 1999 11:46 UTC

From: John_Wray@iris.com
Subject: Re: TSP version 03
To: Denis Pinkas <Denis.Pinkas@bull.net>
Cc: IETF-PXIX <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:14:59 -0400

Denis,

The TSP-over-TCP protocol defined in the new draft suffers from some of the
same problems we found in the CMP-over-TCP protocol in RFC 2510.  I would
suggest that the changes recommended in the new
draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-tcp-00.txt be applied to TSP-over-TCP as well.  These
changes include:

i)  Changing the "poll time" from an absolute time to a delta time.  This
is more robust than an absolute time in the event of a clock-skew between
requester and responder, and also doesn't suffer from the Y2038 problem.

ii) Changing the protocol to contain an explicit version number field to
allow for future changes.

iii) Specifying whether the TCP connection may remain up to carry multiple
TSP requests, and which end is responsible for closing it.

John

Denis Pinkas <Denis.Pinkas@bull.net> on 09/21/99 09:18:04 AM