Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-pi-10.txt

Denis Pinkas <Denis.Pinkas@bull.net> Thu, 15 July 2004 09:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:05:47 +0200
From: Denis Pinkas <Denis.Pinkas@bull.net>
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-pi-10.txt
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Some information about the major changes done to this draft.

After side discussions initiated by Anders Rundgren and followed by Peter
Gutmann, I have discussed with my co-editor, the PKIX chairs and the
security Area Director.

As the result of this, the definition of the PI has been changed to allow to
use the serialNumber attribute from the subject DN.

In the previous draft, there were 2 options or variants for the PI which was
defined as:

   PermanentIdentifier ::=     SEQUENCE {
      identifierValue              UTF8String,
      identifierType               OBJECT IDENTIFIER      OPTIONAL
   }

In draft 10, there are now 3 options or variants for the PI which has been
redefined as:

   PermanentIdentifier ::=     SEQUENCE {
      identifierValue    UTF8String             OPTIONAL,
                      -- if absent, use the serialNumber attribute
                         if there is a single such attribute present
                         in the subject DN
      assigner           OBJECT IDENTIFIER      OPTIONAL
                      -- if absent, the assigner is
                         the certificate issuer
    }

For further details, please take a look at the draft.

(and if you take a close look, you will find a "typo" ASN.1 error,
that will need to be corrected by re-issuing a new draft). :-(

Denis