Re: [pkix] Comments on draft-santesson-auth-context-extension-04

Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net> Mon, 11 March 2013 09:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:41:40 +0100
From: Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net>
To: mrex@sap.com
Cc: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>, pkix <pkix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pkix] Comments on draft-santesson-auth-context-extension-04

Martin,

The problem is that we currently only have a static description for a
mapping but no indication on how
a RP shall use the content of the extension, in particular when it is
critical.

I have also difficulties to understand why this mapping information
needs to be in the certificate since it will be in the audit trail of
the CA anyway.

What is important is how the RP shall use that information and my
understanding is still the following:
making sure the the certificate belongs to a person that has used a SAML
token.

So it is much straightforward to include in the certificate information
about the SAML token itself rather than
information on a mapping with the content of the DN which anyway is of
no value for a RP because it cannot be verified.

If a document is targeted to informational, it is because it may be
useful outside the community which has an original interest in it.

Denis