RE: Request for new work item - Defining an SRV RR otherName

"Stefan Santesson" <stefans@microsoft.com> Fri, 20 May 2005 23:34 UTC

Subject: RE: Request for new work item - Defining an SRV RR otherName
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:44:38 +0100
From: Stefan Santesson <stefans@microsoft.com>
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Sam,

My recollection of this issue is a bit different from yours.

The central need here is to enable the KDC to express in a certificate
the fact that it is a KDC in a way that male sense to clients.

In a traditional Kerberos environment the KDC can be known as a KDC
since it can demonstrate knowledge of the user's key.

In PKI initiated Kerberos, this property is lost.

If the client knows the host name, IP address or any other identity of
the KDC, which can be mapped to information in the KDC certificate, then
we are good and appropriate binding is possible.

However, from what I have learned, we may face situations where a client
only know the name of the domain it wants to access and the fact that it
looks for a PKINIT enabled KDC. In this case it is assumed that the
client would do a SRV RR query to the DNS to get the host name of the
currently available KDC.

If the SRV RR is NOT the appropriate name to bind to in this case, then
my question is what the alternative is.

Finally, the reason to do this in PKIX is since this in principle is a
generic way of service discovery that may be useful also for other
services where the client only know service name, protocol and domain. I
have indications that it is becoming more and more interesting to
dynamically search for services in this manner for other services but
I'm very interested of other opinions here.

I don't however understand in what way we need to be careful to limit
this only to some specific services. Could you clarify this concern?

/Stefan