Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-pi-08.txt

"David P. Kemp" <dpkemp@missi.ncsc.mil> Wed, 12 May 2004 18:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:45:17 -0400
From: "David P. Kemp" <dpkemp@missi.ncsc.mil>
To: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-pi-08.txt
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Denis and Tom,

It is my hope that PI will become an RFC in the near future, so
that certificates (from an un-named large PKI :-) that currently
handle PIs by munging them into Common Name (e.g.,
CN="Kemp.David.P.0514101404") will have a saner alternative.

Comments:

"Assigner Authority and Type" could and should be better explained,
in the I-D / RFC, but it is also clear what it means without such
an explanation.  See www.acq.osd.mil/uid/policy.html,
"Guide to Uniquely Identifying Items" for an example.  The
guide defines five "Issuing Agencies" (assigner authorities)
where each issuing agency defines the type of identifier it
assigns.  The issuing agencies (and types) are:

   1. EAN-International (EAN.UCC company prefix that goes on the
barcode of everything you buy in the supermarket)

   2. Telcordia Technologies (ANSI T1.220 numbers)

   3. Dun & Bradstreet (DUNS number)

   4. Allied Committee 135 (CAGE code - look up your favorite
company's number at www.dlis.dla.mil/cage_welcome.asp)

   5. European Health Industry Business Communications Council
(EHIBCC number)

There should not be a large number of PI assigner authorities,
but there will be more than five and the list will grow, so they
can't be enumerated within the RFC itself.   It is reasonable
to identify them by IANA-assigned value, or by OID.  It is not
completely unreasonable to identify them by URI, but there is
an impedance mismatch between the goals of PI (physical
organizations with stable business processes to establish
reliable identifiers) and the mechanism of URI (put up a
document/resource somewhere in cyberspace).  Not that a URI
couldn't point to a substantial, permanent organization, or
that the target of an OID couldn't be ephemeral, but OIDs
do have a more substantial "flavor" than URIs.

More to the point, an OID tells a machine implementation what
to do with a PI, whereas a URI is presumably intended to cause
the implementation to make an online access to find out what
to do.  That is an unreasonable burden.

I believe that the syntax of PI-08 is fine as is, and that with
Jim Schaad's corrections and perhaps some more explanatory text
the draft is ready to become an RFC.

Dave