RE: PI: 10: draft-ietf-pkix-pi-10.txt - single serialNumber attribute

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Wed, 21 July 2004 15:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:02:43 -0400
To: "Manger, James H" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Subject: RE: PI: 10: draft-ietf-pkix-pi-10.txt - single serialNumber attribute
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

James:

The authors put the serial number restriction into the document in response
to a comment from me.  In the example that you provide, there is not a
problem.  However, one can construct a distinguished name that is
ambiguous.  The X.500 series of documents give us a very complex structure
for Name:

    Name ::= CHOICE {
      RDNSequence }

    RDNSequence ::= SEQUENCE OF RelativeDistinguishedName

    RelativeDistinguishedName ::=
      SET OF AttributeTypeAndValue

    AttributeTypeAndValue ::= SEQUENCE {
      type     AttributeType,
      value    AttributeValue }

    AttributeType ::= OBJECT IDENTIFIER

    AttributeValue ::= ANY DEFINED BY AttributeType

Since RelativeDistinguishedName is a SET, it is possible to have more than
one attribute at the same level.  If this level were to include more than
one SerialNumber attribute, then it would not be clear which one to use as
the permanent identifier.  Since it is a SET, one cannot rely on order to
help resolve this issue.  They would be equally "deep" in the RDNSequence.

I admit that no one in their right mind would design a schema like this,
but sadly, the structure permits an uninformed person to make some really
bad choices.  Further, guidance in this area was removed from the X.500
series of documents.  The informative information that was once present was
removed because some implementors treated it as normative.

Russ