Re: [pkng] Some more wacky ideas... Usability ?

Massimiliano Pala <Massimiliano.Pala@Dartmouth.edu> Sat, 14 November 2009 02:16 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:21:02 -0500
From: Massimiliano Pala <Massimiliano.Pala@Dartmouth.edu>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, pkng@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [pkng] Some more wacky ideas... Usability ?

Hello Peter,

I understand what you say.. maybe we see things from two very different
point of view. To me, if you trust already your buddy-list is because you
already have some sort of relationship with someone. That is a viable
approach for humans. It has two problems though. First, it does not scale
outside the number of people you interact with, even more when it comes to
extend the trust over the internet.. particularly in this case, I think it
would be better to provide the user with the possibility to extend the
trust from few, well known authorities (we usually do not interact with
that many, directly) in some easy fashion, instead of applying a peer-to-peer
policy. My point being, we need some kind of authority...

Second, when you try to extend the concept to devices (phones, cars, house
appliances, etc..) well.. the buddy list is something we do not really have..
so the user-centric model, like PGP, is would not really work without heavy
user interaction... and not on the Internet, IMHO.

This said, it could be interesting analyzing what can be done when the
two models are combined in a sort of bi-dimensional space...

My sqrt(4) cents...

Cheers,
Max

--

Best Regards,

	Massimiliano Pala

Massimiliano Pala [OpenCA Project Manager]                   openca@acm.org
                                                  project.manager@openca.org

Dartmouth Computer Science Dept               Home Phone: +1 (603) 369-9332
PKI/Trust Laboratory                          Work Phone: +1 (603) 646-8734
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us
who do.
							   -- Isaac Asimov