Re: [PMOL] FW: draft-morton-perf-metrics-framework-01

KIKUCHI Yutaka <yu@kikuken.org> Thu, 06 December 2007 19:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 04:35:50 +0900
To: alan.d.clark@telchemy.com
Subject: Re: [PMOL] FW: draft-morton-perf-metrics-framework-01
From: KIKUCHI Yutaka <yu@kikuken.org>
Cc: zin@jaist.ac.jp, ogashiwa@noware.co.jp, satoru@ft.solteria.net, pmol@ietf.org, nagami@inetcore.com

Alan, and folks,

Here is a brief report of our experience of the framework I-D.
Sorry for the message just before the PMOL meeting.

Totally, the framework was useful to check our draft.

I want that some points will be more strictly described
because results of the test might includes arbitrary evaluations.
For example, in "the tests of the usefulness" of the section 3.2,
we could say both YES and NO in some situations.
Moreover we could avoid discussions about nerve cases.

In the section 3.6 "Qualifying Metrics",
we need concrete criteria of some qualifications to show
unambiguity, repeatability and implementability.

The section 3.7 "Reporting Models" felt strange to me,
because there are some typical ways, i.e. SNMP and syslog,
for reporting in OAM most cases. It seems a rare case
to define a new reporting model on metrics definition.

I think it may be useful for metrics developers to mention
about "security considerations" and "IANA considerations"
even it always should be written in all the proposals.

Refer to our I-D draft-kikuchi-passive-measure-01.txt
for an evaluation example. Note that this evaluation
was based on the -00 version of the framework draft.

We hope the report helps.

-- Yu.