Re: [PMOL] Proposed Adoption of draft-malas-performance-metrics-08

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com> Fri, 01 February 2008 04:35 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
To: pmol@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:36:39 -0800
Subject: Re: [PMOL] Proposed Adoption of draft-malas-performance-metrics-08
Sender: pmol-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I'd like to make a few comments - some in my role as one of the RAI
ADs and some just as an individual contributor.

With my AD hat on,

This draft was bounced around several places before we figured out  a
good place to get this work done. I worked with Dan in his OPs AD role
and with the chairs of the related WGs to try and determine where we
wanted this work to happen.  We came to the conclusion that this was
the best WG to do the work in. Now that does not mean the IETF has to
do this work at all, but if we are going to do it, I think this is the
right place to do it. I know that multiple people in the RAI area
expressed their opinions that this work was worth doing. Of course I
want the work to meet the quality level expected by this WG - that was
part of the reasons Dan and I believed this group was the best place
to do the work. I would expect that would mean evolving this draft to
be consistent with the framework document as they both get closer to
WGLC. This evolution certainly could be done after the draft was
adopted as a WG document. I don't think the WG has to finish the
framework document before they can adopt this and start doing work -
both can happen in parallel if the WG choices to do that. The
important thing to me is that when this WG sends the drafts to IESG,
the WG has consensus that they are of adequate quality and consistency
that they should be published as RFCs.

I note that we IETF Last Called the charter text that has
   2. A proof-of-concept RFC defining performance metrics for SIP, based
      on draft-malas-performance-metrics. This memo would serve as an
      example of the framework and the PMOL development process in the
IETF.
and I don't believe I received any comments about this not being a
good starting point.

 From a RAI point of view, I don't claim to know what is the best
starting document to get this work done but the RAI folks would like
to see some of the issues this draft addresses described in some RFC.

WIth my individual contributor hat on,

Of all the proposed drafts that this WG could adopted to meet it
milestones, this one seems to be the best :-) I support adopting it as
a WG item. I'm sure I don't know what needs to change to make it
"right" but once it is a WG draft instead of an individual draft,
whatever the consensus of the WG is can get put into this draft. I
think this will be the fastest path to finishing the work and having
people agree on it.

Thanks, Cullen