Re: [PMOL] [bmwg] FW: [Sipping] Draft agenda / No overload design teamupdate?

"Saverio Niccolini" <Saverio.Niccolini@nw.neclab.eu> Fri, 04 April 2008 04:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 06:53:31 +0200
From: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@nw.neclab.eu>
To: Scott Poretsky <SPoretsky@nextpointnetworks.com>, Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com>, sipping@ietf.org
Cc: Rosario Garroppo <rosario.garroppo@iet.unipi.it>, pmol@ietf.org, bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PMOL] [bmwg] FW: [Sipping] Draft agenda / No overload design teamupdate?
Sender: pmol-bounces@ietf.org

Dear all,

I think there are many unclear points and I do not know what is the
best mailig list where to discuss this (I added PMOL but maybe the
cross posting become too big now...)

I think the bmwg draft (http://www3.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-poretsky-bmwg-sip-bench-meth-02)
does not really help in getting what the sense of "goodput" means in the
overload control simulation resutls presented by Volker.
Would you (Daryl) suggest such metric is: "Maximum Session Attempt Rate"?
Or whatelse?

Are we sure that the goodput Volker is referring to is not
the same metric as you (Daryl) describe in Session Establishment Rate (SER):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-malas-performance-metrics-08#section-3.6

Actually, in my opinion, is none of both.
I understand that the "goodput" is a *load* metric but that Volker
and the design team simulated it with *performance* constraints, i.e.,
if call set up delay is high than a configurable treshold T then the
call is not considered in the goodput

--> which leads to the assumption that it is a kind of a mixed
metric...

Other interesting sentence from Volker in his email is:
"T does not have a significant impact, as long as it is chosen
reasonably, since the buffer occupancy stays within a given
limit with overload control"

I hope someone can clarify, from my perspective:
-- either such metric must be included in the drafts (as I wrote I
do not see cuh a metric in any draft)
-- or the goodput should be adapted to show metrics that are
described in the drafts

Am I missing something?

Saverio

Dr. Saverio Niccolini
Senior Researcher
NEC Laboratories Europe, Network Research Division
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-118
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-155
e-mail:  saverio.niccolini@nw.neclab.eu <-- !!! NEW ADDRESS !!!
NEC Europe Limited Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria
Road, London W3 6BL Registered in England 2832014