Re: [pmtud] Improvement for the current PMTUD mechanism

Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar> Sun, 23 October 2005 10:22 UTC

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 05:15:29 -0300
To: John Heffner <jheffner@psc.edu>, pmtud@ietf.org
From: Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [pmtud] Improvement for the current PMTUD mechanism
Sender: pmtud-bounces@ietf.org

At 03:23 p.m. 10/10/2005, John Heffner wrote:

> > (As a side note, I'm not sure the behavior you describe would happen in
> > practice. Particularly because of TCP's slow-start algorithm. As there are
> > only a few segments "in flight" just after connection establishment or a
> > period of idleness, in many cases there won't be enough duplicate ACKs for
> > fast retransmit to be triggered. Anyway, as the fix to the point you raised
> > is pretty simple and inoffensive, that's the easier way to go).
>
>It does feel like a corner case, probably difficult to trigger.  But I think
>it would be hard to prove it never happens, particularly if you consider all
>possible future behaviors of TCP (with modified slow start or retransmit
>algorithms).

Even then, I'm not sure this is behavior would be a bug, or a feature.

If one out of every four packets gets forwarded through the small-MTU link,
then one should still consider whether assuming the Path-MTU is that of the
smallest-MTU path is better than assuming the Path-MTU is that of the
larger MTU.

If on one path the MTU is, say, 296 bytes, and on the other path the MTU
is, say, 18000 bytes, then someone might argue it's better to lose one
packet out of four, than to waste a large amount of bandwidth in headers of
lots of 296-bytes packets.

Even then, it's so simple to address this case (by disabling
fast-retransmit when there's a pending ICMP message) that I don't think one
should worry about it. Disabling fast-retransmit while there's a pending
ICMP PTB is simply being more conservative.

Kindest regards,

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@gont.com.ar || fgont@acm.org