ietf-pop3 history

John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu> Tue, 24 May 1994 15:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 11:33:03 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu>
Subject: ietf-pop3 history
Beak: Is

The rate of subscriptions to the ietf-pop3 list has slowed down, so
I'll start off with the history and the list of issues.

My background: I am in the process of implementing a POP3 server which
is a compatibility hack to allow POP3 clients to read the database
used by my IMAP4 server.  Since this server is similar in function to
Mark Crispin's c-client-based POP3 server, I used Mark's server as a
reference implementation.  I noticed some discrepancies between Mark's
server and the latest POP3 draft.  I also found some ambiguities in
the latest spec.

Marshall Rose has indicated the following:
> I no longer have the resources to maintain the POP3 specification.  So,
> I'm turning it over to you two ADs.  There is an I-D available which is
> the last thing I did.  Feel free to do whatever you want.  Just remove
> my address from the contact info.

John Klensin's proposal is the following:
> (1) Create an "ietf-pop3" mailing list.  Tell me where, and I'll get it
> posted to IETF-Announce.
>
> (2) Using that list, reach some sort of agreement about the loose ends.  I
> don't really care what you conclude (and I gather Marshall doesn't either),
> but I agree that you have identified loose ends that should be tied.  A
> priori, I'm inclined to believe that things shouldn't be removed on the
> basis that no one is using them if, indeed, someone is using them.
>
> (3) Make a revised document that reflects these changes and get an I-D
> posted.  Unless he objects, I'd like to have Marshall listed as one of the
> authors, but not as the contact point.
>
> Note that the strategy above does not chartering a WG.  I'm willing to make
> a WG, but suspect that we all have better things to do with our time.  And
> I'd like to get this wrapped up the the RFC published before Toronto anyway.

Following this message, I'm going to post the currrent issues, one
message per issue.

--
_.John G. Myers		Internet: jgm+@CMU.EDU
			LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up