Re: [Pppext] new PPP-related individual submission

James Carlson <carlsonj@workingcode.com> Tue, 14 September 2010 01:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:02:17 -0400
From: James Carlson <carlsonj@workingcode.com>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
Cc: "pppext@ietf.org" <pppext@ietf.org>, "Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com" <Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com>, VILLEFRANQUE Alain RD-BIZZ <alain.villefranque@orange-ftgroup.com>, GRIMAULT Jean-Luc RD-MAPS <jeanluc.grimault@orange-ftgroup.com>, LEVIS Pierre RD-BIZZ <pierre.levis@orange-ftgroup.com>, "teemu.savolainen@nokia.com" <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [Pppext] new PPP-related individual submission

On 09/13/10 09:41, mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
> To make the question more detailed in the context of this draft: I do
> not understand how the IP stack in CPE-1 could have a packet with
> destination address 193.51.145.206 and then decide that this packet
> belongs to CPE-2 (and thus needs to be forwarded to PRR) without
> modifications to the IP stack that cause inspection of the transport
> layer headers.
>
> Med: What about the configuration details provided in: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-port-range-01#appendix-B, especially http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-port-range-01#appendix-B.2? Does this answer your concern? FWIW, another implementation candidate can be found here: http://software.merit.edu/pe-arp/.

Yes, I saw that.  I don't see how this accomplishes what's needed or
addresses the question I had.

Since it seems we're not getting anywhere on this, and it's not directly
related to the draft (just whether this can be deployed ... hopefully
somewhere far from me), I guess I'll give up now.

> I suspect that one of the underlying assumptions here is that
> peer-to-peer communication is not necessarily possible.  T1 cannot send
> packets that go straight to T2.
>
> Med: P2P communications are possible but need to cross the port range router. Please refer to the text report I mentioned in my earlier message.

That's exactly the question -- how they're forced to cross the "PRR" for
all traffic with just a postroute hook.  I was sort of hoping for an
architectural description of the solution rather than a list of products
used.

As I said above, I'll just stipulate that some system could be hacked up
to do this.

> That's an improvement, but not what I was suggesting.  To make it more
> direct: I am unconvinced that transport-layer port range restrictions
> are really the sort of issue that should be negotiated down at the
> datalink (PPP) layer.  There ought to be a more common way to do this.
>
> Med: Do you have any solution candidate in mind?

Yes.  Define a DHCP option (as you've already done) that defines port
ranges for NATs to use.  Then use that.

> I don't understand that answer.  PPP and DHCP are in no way mutually
> exclusive protocols.
>
> Med: What I meant is: what SPs which do not have DHCP in their networks have to do in order to support port-range solution?

If they really have no DHCP at all, then they have a burden of writing a
200 line UDP application that reads DHCP INFORM messages and sends out