Re: [Pppext] draft-arberg-pppoe-mtu-gt1492-00

John Fitzgibbon <fitz@jfitz.com> Fri, 08 July 2005 02:06 UTC

From: John Fitzgibbon <fitz@jfitz.com>
To: pppext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pppext] draft-arberg-pppoe-mtu-gt1492-00
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:06:12 -0700
Sender: pppext-bounces@ietf.org

> Why would there be any more "re-architecting" to change to real PPP
> than to change to the new version of PPPoE?

Changing to real PPP would mean customers need to change their equipment. I
believe the point of the PPPoE proposal is to maintain compatability so that
existing customers with PPPoE and an MRU of 1492 will continue to have PPPoE
with an MRU of 1492. No customer-facing changes required. Only whiners like
myself would bother to upgrade software and/or hardware to take advantage of
the 1500 byte MRU.

Having me on "real PPP" and everybody else on PPPoE is the "in tandem"
scenario I was talking about. More below...

> If you answer, please do not assume this audience is ignorant of IP,
> PPP, PPPoE, PPPoA, etc.

Certainly. I assume quite the opposite, that the audience are the experts on
IP, PPP, PPPoE, PPPoA, etc. I readily confess that I am not, and apologise if
my lack of knowledge disappoints. (I am an interested observer, not involved
with the current proposal, though I did propose a similar idea earlier.)

> What do you mean by "running PPPoE and IP in tandem" as if it were
> radicatlly different than the current case?

This is probably a misleading choice of wording on my part. What I meant:

Customer A uses PPPoE, (and runs IP over PPPoE).
Customer B uses PPPoA, or "raw" IP, or whatever....

This scenario may be technically simple to implement, but major service
providers will not support it. It costs them money to train people to test,
deploy and support new/different protocols. I wish they hadn't chosen PPPoE
as their protocol-of-choice, but wishful thinking won't change the current
deployments. Of course you can argue that these are economic, not technical,
considerations, and are none of the IETF's beeswax, but that doesn't help the
equipment and service providers who are trying to find a low-cost, workable
solution to a widespread problem. If the concensus IETF opinion is that the
proposed "cure" is worse than the "disease", then we should probably just end
the discussion here.

> Have you used the (or an) other very common IP encapsulation over DSL,
> PPPoA?

Yes. Ironically, my service provider, (apparently like many others), changed
from using PPPoA to PPPoE. They will no longer allow me to connect to their
upstream equipment using PPPoA. There are no non-PPPoE residential solutions
in my area that meet my needs. I am not alone.

> That is true only if the new MTU feature the proposal is not used.
> You must at least install new client-side firmware or software to use
> the larger MTU.

Agreed.

> As James Carlson has repeated pointed out, end users
> will probably need to make an additional client-side provisioning
> choice of "network is transparent for jumbo 802.3 frames or not."

I agree with the theory here, but I'm not sure that this would necessarily be
a major issue in practise. For most "closed" networks, the providers can
verify that the new upstream equipment works with the originally provisioned,
provider-approved, downstream equipment. Therefore, there should not be any
client-side changes required to maintain the status-quo, (i.e. PPPoE with
MRU=1492). Only users who upgrade to MRU=1500 would need to make additional
provisioning choices.

I completely agree that any proposed change should err on the side of caution
to help mitigate against compatability problems. Again, if the concensus IETF
opinion is that the proposed change is only likely to make a bad situation
worse, then we should probably end this discussion.

> PPPoE is itself "implemeted in an ad-hoc way."   PPPoE is not an offical
> standard but an ad hoc kludge.  There is *ABSOLUTELY NO* chance this
> proposal ever being anything published as other than an Informational
> RFC with "DO NOT IMPLEMENT" warnings.  If implementations of such a
> thing aren't ad hoc, what are?

By "ad hoc" I mean a scenario more like Juniper implementing support for an
MRU > 1492 only when a new tag is specified, while Cisco implement support
for a higher negotiated MRUs without a tag, or with a different tag. At least
if there is an Informational RFC, then there is an increased likelihood that
the implementations would maintain some level of compatability.

If the concensus IETF view is that such an RFC would not be accepted without a
warning that says "DO NOT IMPLEMENT", (as opposed to the wording James
Carlson suggested), then I would think that this whole discussion is moot. A
detailed description of a protocol change that is not to be implemented would
surely be a waste of time.

John Fitzgibbon